Butterley Reservoir is conveniently located just off junction 28 of the M1, with easy access by following the National Heritage signs for the Midland Railway Centre. The reservoir’s postal code is DE5 3QZ.
Originally constructed in 1795 by William Jessop, Butterley Reservoir is the largest of three reservoirs built to serve the Cromford Canal. The other two, Codnor Park and Butterley Park, are no longer in existence. The reservoir was formed by damming the Hartshay Brook and covers an approximate surface area of 50 acres, holding an estimated 283 million gallons of water.
In 1875, the Midland Railway extended the Ambergate to Pye Bridge line over the reservoir using a wooden viaduct with 22 equal spans of 9.1 meters. This viaduct was later replaced by a stone causeway in the 1930s, which is still in place today.
Over the years, Butterley Reservoir has undergone changes, particularly in recent times thanks to the efforts of the Angling Club and their dedicated maintenance team.
The reservoir is divided into two sections by the Midland Railway that traverses it, essentially creating two separate fishing venues. Anglers who put in the effort will be rewarded with good fishing opportunities.
During the summer months, exploring the shallow areas can prove advantageous, while in colder months, the pegs along the dam wall in deeper water tend to be more popular among anglers.